Oops, sorry, I forgot

My ability to forget things is a skill. It takes great talent to forget birthday’s, lunch plans, appointments, shopping lists, things people said only a few minutes earlier, and words that I know I know but can’t seem to find even on the tip of my tongue. And that all happens in one day. Each day is different, yet the same. I’ve become a pro at forgetfulness.

And just so you know, it’s different than old age forgetfulness or the casual “sorry, I forgot” kind of thing. My memory issues live in a universe and dimension all their own. A place where my thoughts and words float about just out of reach. I try to reach for them, but those darn letters move about too much. Sometimes they hide from me and other times they simply slip through my fingers.

This week, Monday came and went without incident. The only problem is that I don’t remember Saturday or Sunday having been lived through. I have tried hard thinking about the weekend but the only thing I can remember is that I can’t remember.

I think I went to the grocery store, but then again I might have done that on Friday. It rained much of the time and the temperature outside was much cooler… I think. I dozed off a few times in the living room while watching something on TV… I think.

There are so many possibilities that could have filled my time. It’s possible I might have won a years supply of chocolate or I might have robbed a bank and am now a multi-millionaire. I might have even buried a dead body in the back yard. Who knows? I know I sure don’t.

So what causes my MS forgetfulness? Take a look at my brain and it would be obvious. The damage in there looks a bit like swiss cheese. Those holes and lesions in my brain are the reason for my forgetfulness. Black holes don’t just exist in outer space you know. Some live right here…inside my brain. Talk about things getting lost in the dark. I live there.

My brain may not be able to function properly every minute of the day, but at least I know I have one. I even have documented proof. Just check out my MRI’s if there’s ever any doubts. As for some people, I think they lost their’s entirely a long time ago.

It’s weird how the brain works. You know how some people have selective hearing and can tune out things that annoy them? Yeah, well I think I have selective thinking.

It amazes me that I have no problem remembering the words to the Mahna Mahna song from the Muppets but can easily forget that Thursday is trash day unless I am reminded by an alert on my phone. If I didn’t have reminders to keep me on track I probably wouldn’t get anything done.

I forget to call people back, answer text messages and respond to emails. It’s not intentional. It just is what it is. If I haven’t responded to you… sorry about that. If I forgot your birthday… again, sorry. If I don’t remember your favorite color, miss an appointment because I didn’t have it written down or forgot your name, trust me, it’s not on purpose.

Multiple sclerosis just has this way of scrambling my thoughts and at times turning them into mush. Sometimes I wonder how I get anything done at all.

Well, it’s time to restart a load of laundry that I left in the washing machine for a few days. Let’s see if I can get them re-washed, dried and put away without incident today. That is my goal. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Here’s the Mahna Mahna song. Something that can get stuck in your thoughts without even trying…

1. madeline newton
    madeline newton says:

i agree with the forgetfulness ….i know my husband gets tired of me asking him things over and over again …i just want to be sure i guess i should get a board to write on it what i have asked then i wouldn’t ask him again ..ahhahah…song is great first thing in the morning and a good laugh is always welcome…i really enjoyed it …take care and stay safe ….loads of love and much happiness to everyone…enjoy life…

2. Leslie
    Leslie says:

Thanks for Mahna Mahna, that little caveman guy is hilarious (and talented)! I have had the ringtone from my old LG phone stuck in my head for about three years now… Broccoli Salad, very catchy, but I wonder if it’s another weird aspect of ms (like my hyper acuity, the ringing in my ears and going into muscle spasms for hours from a sudden loud noise or just being startled) or am I just going crazy. But then I feel like ms is a kind of crazy! 🙂 😜

3. Maria
    Maria says:

Thanks for the ray of sunshine this morning as I couldn’t help but smile ear to ear watching the Mahna Mahna video😀 I’m sorry you are dealing with this. But, It’s nice to hear someone else dealing with this issue too. Makes me think, ok, I’m not really going crazy. Have an awesome day!

4. Janet Stanzel
    Janet Stanzel says:

I was going to say something but I forgot what it was 🤷‍♀️
    Mahna Mahna 😊
    You understand! Thanks Penelope for another well written post. And thanks for reminding everyone about the Muppets Mahna Mahna song, we could all use a little something to entice a smile or laugh. This did it for me today.! 😊That I remember 😉

5. Laurie
    Laurie says:

Thank you for that Penelope! My forgetfullness has reached new heights this last month. Twice I have opened my package of Aubagio, only to realize that yesterdays pill is still sitting under that days bubble in the package. I sit and wonder how that day disappeared without a trace. I am now thinking that it would indeed be a great idea to bust out the Mahna Mahna song everytime I forget something. I am sure the people around me will be wondering if I have lost my mind, and I will reply with Mahna Mahna! I haven’t smiled so much in the morning in a while! Thank you so much!

• Janet Stanzel
      Janet Stanzel says:

I sometimes forget too.
      I started putting my pills out for the next day in a little decorative dish/bowl on my kitchen counter when cleaning up from dinner each night. My husband & two teenagers would check at dinner clean up and if the dish was empty…we’d fill it for the next day. Otherwise if I have forgotten (again) I’d take them then.
      I use two separate dishes if I have pills to take in the morning and at night.
      This works well for me! 😊
      Four sets of eyes are better than one!
      Of course only do this if there are no young children or pets that could access your pills.

• LAURIE DEMERS
        LAURIE DEMERS says:

My husband literally put a sticky note where I sit in the morning for my coffee and has now started to ask me every morning “did you take your pills?”! I love your idea, but I do have a dog, and he is a great dane so he has the ability to reach pretty much everywhere. But your four eyes are better than one is bang on! That is what we do daily now 😁