A life with multiple sclerosis is hard…that’s just me telling it like it is.

A life with multiple sclerosis is hard. There’s no nice way to put it. I could lie and tell of all the cool things life brings to sway you to the opposite side. I could give you a bunch of blessings and sweet moments that have happened along the way to change your mind but I would be fooling myself. Those people that say life isn’t hard, you’re just living it wrong…I’d like to smack them upside the head or strangle them. They aren’t living in reality.

I have to admit, life is hard and don’t feel one bit guilty for saying so. Everyone’s life is hard no matter where you are from or what you are dealing with. The main thing with me is I try to focus on one thing at a time. I don’t have the energy to lump everything together to focus on a pile of things. Every day is a pick and choose adventure into the unknown and the uncharted. Some days I come out unscathed and some days sadly I don’t.

The one screaming at me the loudest gets the attention. Today, that happens to be pain and weakness. It may change as the day goes by, but that’s where my focus is right now. I will do some stretches and get my muscles moving which always seems to help. It’s always good to get things moving even when you are limited is what you can move.

My bathroom renovation is still in the works and I will be happy to finally have a bathroom completed that is accessible for me to use. I was told it will be this week or next week. I’m excited. I will take pictures and share them with you as soon as I can.

But those people that insist life isn’t hard need a moment living with a disability. They would change their tune quick. I’m just happy the sun came up today for a glorious morning without rain. It’s cold out which gives me trouble moving, but I will keep trying to move anyway. I at least have an excuse to veg on the couch as the workers come today.

Don’t give in to the difficulties that come along the way. Some can be conquered and some can’t, but that’s okay. I have come to a place where I’m okay with the smallest of progress, no matter what it may be. Do what you can. That’s what matters. No quitting allowed. And look for the sweet moments that come along bringing an unexpected change to your day. For me, I saw deer playing in my back yard which I always love to see. It gives me something to smile at.

1. Tiffany Lanthier
    Tiffany Lanthier says:

Penelope you so ROCK 🙂 I love ALL of your post cause it seems like you are living in my head and you ALWAYS say the things that totally make me smile and some times laugh out loud (like the flight with MS) now that one I saved and reread it often when I need a laugh. I’am so happy about the renovations on your bathroom I cant wait to see it. The more we talk about MS the more we can ALL learn and lean on each other. Take Care and have a wonderful day Penelope 🙂 And thank you again.

2. Karen Hawley
    Karen Hawley says:

I love your blog. I’m having a tough day today. It’s cloudy cold rainy. Ugh. Reading your blog helps especially the do what you can & no quitting. 😊

3. Janet Stanzel
    Janet Stanzel says:

One step forward and two steps back is what my days sometimes feel like.
    I too rejoice in my small accomplishments throughout the day like making my bed without stumbling, getting my own lunch or stepping outside to get some fresh air on our back deck while enjoying a plastic cup (required most days for fear of broken glass) of juice.
    My husband is proud of me on the really good days when I managed to run & empty the dishwasher alone without dropping or breaking anything OR managed to get dinner in the crockpot OR took a shower without needing help to dry & get dressed. Some days the OR is an AND. These really good days don’t come often lately BUT when they do, the entire house is excited & happy with/for me. 😊
    Funny how we used to take the little things for granted. I don’t anymore and although I sometimes feel like a little girl who just learned to tie her shoes without assistance, when I am able to get things done on my own I smile because this is my new now. 😊

4. Peggy
    Peggy says:

As you say ..”life is hard…have come to a place where I’m okay with the smallest of progress, no matter what it may be.” I rejoice in being able to find a way to do one small thing… is soo hard but I can do it. Granted may take me longer, hours, days, weeks but hey eventually I can!!

5. Rodger Francis Ashton-Smith
    Rodger Francis Ashton-Smith says:

Thanks Penelope we do have a seemingly hard life, but believe me there are harder things in life than we have got. But that doesn’t take away the things we have to do to simply jobs or something similar. It can be hard the first time or until the fifth time. But we all find a way to do it and makes easier life for us.

6. Laurie
    Laurie says:

My MS came on when I was 25 and I’m now 62 with secondary progressive. When I’m feeling down and out I try to look back and remember the better times when I was able to travel with my husband and daughter and am thankful for the memories. Penelope, I love reading your blog and it’s very comforting to realize how much we are alike and that there’s great strength in numbers!

7. Carla L Broadbent Rogers
    Carla L Broadbent Rogers says:

Smile, laugh,cry,scream, smile.breathe,laugh try to make it to the bathroom in time and breathe. That is my day so far. I guess I need to step way from the computer. Best always to all.