Sometimes hope is the only thing I have left to cling to

I long for the day multiple sclerosis can’t ruin another persons day, life, relationships, or career. Where invisible pain, unwarranted fatigue, brain freeze moments, dropped cups of coffee, and embarrassing bathroom mishaps no longer happen on a daily basis. Am I just dreaming? Maybe. But even crazy dreams like that have a possibility of happening…so I hang on.

Sometimes hope is the only thing I have left to cling to and that’s so much better than drowning in the sorrows of pain, confusion and uncertainties. Trust me, that’s not the way to get through a day with MS. You may not be able to shake yourself free from the emotional roller coaster you find yourself on, but there is a way to get through today. It’s called one moment at a time. That’s the only way I know to do it.

The impossible thing you are facing today, you’ve got this. You can’t give up just yet. And when people ask what it was that gave you such strength, the resounding answer will be “They had multiple sclerosis and yet they lived and loved life in spite of the struggle.” I want you to be able to carry that strength with you everywhere you go.

Today, you have the needed strength to face this very moment in your life no matter if you are in the hospital hooked up to noisy monitors, busy nurses and meds galore or if you are stuck in a dreading morning meeting at the office filled with stale coffee, meeting notes and grumpy coworkers.

You are amazing regardless of what’s happening around you. Never believe anything different. All those negative focused thoughts that have a tendency to make their way into your head…they are lies. All lies. You are strong enough for this part of the journey. So much stronger than you give yourself credit for.

Enjoy the little moments that make up today. Find something that gives you joy and do it. Find a rainbow in the storm today even if it’s just a bag of skittles. Today is your day, now get out there and LIVE!!!

Thanks Penelope I don’t dream much about getting rid of this but there is always hope for something to help us.
    Our life hasn’t gone so we have to live the best way we can do.

2. bunny
    bunny says:

so true so true. i have 2 tee-shirts i love 1- whatever 2- it is what it is.
    they keep things in check. the MS monster i can’t change , no control over it but i do have control on how i handle the nasties it throws me.

oh!!! i have a wonder woman tee shirt and a mini action figure of her. reminds me that yes i am stronger than i realize and to embrace the positives in my day ( big- getting up and down the stairs , little- not dropping or spilling something LOL)

as always thanks for your wonderful post– you rock 🤩

3. Jan
    Jan says:

Thank you Penelope. Yes, it is very hard some days just to wake up and carry on. The inner strength we still have to keep going is amazing. I look forward to every afternoon which is my “ME” time. I make a hot cup tea and rest my weary body till the fatigue drains from me. Ahhhh, now for a dark chocolate Dove!! Mmmmm. 🙋🏻‍♀️ Jan 😘

4. Gale Vester
    Gale Vester says:

…or if you’re at home all day and every day because the MonSter has ripped away much of your ability to go outside on your own or to work or to even stand, but you have been lucky enough to have an excellent partner, who understands the basics of what you face and will face it all with you and support you through the sh!ttiest times, even celebrate the great times alongside you and be a d@mn good chef, along with living in a place with great medical care.

Oh. Oh! Okay, that sentence got stretched out longer than I’d intended. Even so, what I mean to say is that, while MS hurts like hell and has clawed away much of what makes me _me_, I’m still here. 0:-)

5. Janet Stanzel
    Janet Stanzel says:

One moment at a time…🤔…thatgoes with my “don’t sweat the little stuff”.
    As hard as somedays are to muster thru, your posts remind me to keep going because tomorrow just might be a rainbow day! Thank you Penelope your words, as always, are mini rainbows that bring smiles and hope and brighten the gloomy days. 🤗😊

6. Janet Stanzel
    Janet Stanzel says:

One moment at a time…🤔…that’s goes with my “don’t sweat the little stuff”.