An Illustrated View of Multiple Sclerosis

MS Fact #19: Headaches
MS Fact #20: Seizures

MS Gets on My NervesTeam Mystery BruiseMS Superhero

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Heather Adsit
    Heather Adsit says:

This was me yesterday after helping get my house ready for a bed.

I’m glad my husband had his friend because I ended up cuddling with my kiddos.
    My body said no way. This is never fun :/

2. Lisa Krieg
    Lisa Krieg says:

I knew something more had to be wrong with me before my diagnosis because I was just so fatigued all the time but all the doctors just thought I was depressed or getting a virus or not over my last virus. I don’t really blame them since I wasn’t presenting with any other symptoms to lead them to the MS dx. Knowing what I know now I did show other symptoms earlier on but hindsight is always 20/20!

3. Diane Serafin Cox
    Diane Serafin Cox says:

So many people keep telling me , ” I know some one with MS and they do this and that with no problems ” Oh and they had it for years too. Well my daughter was diagnosed over 2 years ago and has all the problems no one sees. And she has to use a walker.

• Sherri
      Sherri says:

Hi Diane, although we know most people mean well it is all too frustrating for me when I hear some say to me “so and so has MS and takes this vitamin or that is and doing great – maybe you should try it too”..Just like MS effects everyone differently, same goes for the treatments. I try and ‘educate’ people (in the nicest way possible) about the fact that although I have battled my MS for over 12 years and thanks be to God I am still able to be mobile and walk on my own, there are things people cannot visually “see” that we suffer with daily, and pain we face sometimes cannot be taken care of by taking a pill. And we have to be very careful with autoimmune disease, because a lot of what we are taking can have adverse effects on the medications we take if we mix in different supplements, etc. with our meds. So before I start anything – even a vitamin, I always suggest to everyone to speak with the neurologist first no matter what! I thank people for their advice, smile, and know that I will always do myself a favor and do what’s best for ME. What is best for me will not always be best for someone else with the same disease. I wish your daughter all the best fighting this MonSter. I am sorry she has to use a walker, and I pray she will remain as pain free as possible. God bless you and your family throughout this journey!

4. Linda Horrobin
    Linda Horrobin says:

I remember seeing this at Salford royal when I went to their Getting to grips with MS seminar. I had only just been diagnosed. I wish I could have gone a little later after diagnosis. I think I would have benefited more. It was excellent though. xx

5. Amanda Michaud
    Amanda Michaud says:

I am just now getting tested for MS because since July I have had nothing but issues from vertigo to know my legs going numb and having a hard time speaking. The doctors kept telling me it was stress and anxiety, I kept telling them no it’s not normal for a 30 not to be able to walk or hold her child. It’s so sad how doctors just push you to the side.

• Karolina Opauszki
      Karolina Opauszki says:

I had the same issues with doctors. I suffered for 8 months until I managed to get referred to a neurologist… they kept telling me oh bloods fine and you are only 25, you look fit….
      Anyway, I am 27 now and have active RRMS. Would love to see that physician again who was telling me I am healthy. I wish you all the best, hopefully soon you will have answers.

• Daniela Maksimović
      Daniela Maksimović says:

🙁 Ignored me in hospital for 24 days no balance, left eye stuck and could not read at all, was all blurry. And screwed part of the brain without therapy for that long now can`t get rid of double vision which they waited for to gave me a diagnose. When they discharged me from the hospital answer to my question how they came up with it, oh it hits eyes first?!? No shit, left eye stuck was not a sign for this long?? Even more is annoying when you have to prove main doctor you have relapse to give you a therapy??! And when they say no stress, honestly I`m stressed when I start dealing with you. >.< BTW weeks before that my neighbor he saw my blood results told me how `m faking and so healthy, how I have blood of the new born baby everything was sooo normal, and yet...oi. Take care. 🙂

• K
      K says:

Go to another dr that knows ms. They have a drug name limtrada that helps to repair cells. I had ms for 23 yrs & took all the medicines. Now waiting to get approved by insurance. God bless you.

• Sherri
        Sherri says:

Amanda,

It took me almost 10 years to get my diagnosis. I had same symptoms as you did. It wasn’t until I moved to FL and went to a neurologist for ‘migraine’s’ that I was finally taken seriously for MS. He ordered an MRI that came back with a few lesions, then followed that up with a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) which came back positive. Those two tests combined with my history of symptoms are what finally diagnosed me. Go figure, I had to move to the sunshine state where Vitamin D is so very important for those of us with MS to get my diagnosis! Just thought that was ironic 😉 That was in 2005, 12 years later and I am still fighting but fighting it pretty well 🙂 P.S. I did Rebiff injections for a year, then Copaxone for a year, then finally Tysabri for almost 8 years. Loved Tysabri!!! Felt super great on that one but tested JC Virus positive and had to go off of it 🙁 Now on Aubagio for last 1.5 years and don’t feel as great, less energy, more neuropathy, but no new lesions! Good luck to you, hope you find a Neuro who can diagnose you soon!! Don’t give up :))

6. Belinda Heard
    Belinda Heard says:

Hmm…I saw everything underneath in my ex husband…AND the very real downward slide into dementia. It’s the denial of these issues which is the real problem…but that’s just my opinion..

7. Lola Hale
    Lola Hale says:

It’s a tricky situation, I put “show face” on a lot, especially at work. I don’t let many people see how much pain I am in or how fatigued I am which is why it’s nearly 11am on a Saturday morning and I am too fatigued and in pain to get out of bed yet.

8. Patricia stone
    Patricia stone says:

I was investigated for m&s over 20years ago never got a proper diagnosis said probable ms my brother was 29 when he died it started at 17 he had progressive ms my dad’s sister was 42 when she died she had m&s as well I think over the years I have had to cope with disabilities affecting me in all sorts of ways but the pain I’m going through with other things happening to me I think I’ve had a relapse and my gp sent me for blood tests and found my potassium is very low she wants to see me and she is concerned about my pain I could go on but I don’t want to note you all x

9. Annette Jolly
    Annette Jolly says:

Reading through this has clarified in my mind that I am experiencing several of these symptoms and that these are indeed MS related. I’ve been diagnosed for just over a year now having previously been told for 30+ years I had a ‘multi system ‘ illness and fibromyalgia . I have seen a Nurse Specialist twice and have today started pregabelin for pain. Reading through the other possible effects of MS really scares me and makes me feel very uncertain of the future. Thus far, I am still mobile and need only a little support! My main symptoms are poor sight ,pain and fatigue. I find coping with latter the worst. I just pray that this new medication works although it may take a little time as the dosage is being very gradually increased to find an ideal level. I’d appreciate any feedback from others on ‘this medication.

10. Margo mckay
    Margo mckay says:

Oh the stories we MS sufferers could tell, ignorance comes from those who do not know, even Drs, nurses, consultants etc if they don’t have the disease they will never understand the full enormity. Bless them cos they are ignorant.

11. Kat Hamilton
    Kat Hamilton says:

“MS doesn’t cause pain.” My neurologist told me that just prior to checking my reflexes. He now has his nurse do the reflex tests. 🙂 “Take a Tylenol.” I sit on my numb hands to keep myself from decking the idiot who tells me that. “I don’t know what you’re complaining about; you’ve got the best parking space.” That one was from a colleague after I fought for two years to get one parking space designated as handicapped parking. My boss was in the room, along with several other witnesses, so I couldn’t choke the speaker. I did, however, tell her that the very moment she took my MS I would happily give her the parking space to go with it. There is no cure for stupidity, but it can be muffled with duct tape. 🙂

12. Jacque Apodaca Mateo
    Jacque Apodaca Mateo says:

Yep this is me…. María María Ang Almanza Linda Apodaca Maverick David….so if I fell asleep or crashed for an hour or 2 it’s not because I wanted to it’s because I physically couldn’t fight the battle anymore that day!!

13. Tracy Long
    Tracy Long says:

Reading these I have everyone of these, but #6 mine is swaying left to right. I feel I am in a fishing boat in the ocean and a large boat comes by rocking me. I even get that way riding in a car. It’s horrible!

14. Melinda
    Melinda says:

These are great. You should share with the MS Society. ..I see these compiled into a book for the family and friends of those with MS.

15. LaKesha Webb
    LaKesha Webb says:

I try really hard not to mention my issues anymore bc the fact of the matter in my case at least is that people just don’t give a s*** about what we deal with, most ppl are not sincere and folks just plain don’t care. I started to feel like I was begging for concern from my friends and family but I don’t need them. I got thru the bs lumbar puncture twice, many MRIs and needles on my own. Not even my mother cares to check on me and that’s her right not to give a damn, not morally right but oh well. None of you have to take the crap either. I stopped my meds and now only self medicate and I feel better than before all the meds. Now for my diet and exercise lol. It will be OK I thought I couldn’t handle these things but I look back yrs and I’m OK, all of you will be too!

16. Mayvår Sjøberg
    Mayvår Sjøberg says:

It’s okay. My neurologist says MS shouldn’t hurt at all and pushed me off onto pain management and to psych for the emotional changes because MS doesn’t do that either. She *literally* said “MS is NOT painful and you shouldn’t be having spasms.” I wanted to punch her in her face. Then blame her on my non-MS related emotional problems, since those don’t really exist. Stupid doctor. She’s an American doctor. I can’t wait to go home.

17. Iananddeb Hales
    Iananddeb Hales says:

It’s so hard for some people to understand and very frustrating for us that face these challenges every day – a day without pain would just be nice never mind a day without all the MS issues – Deb

18. Marie Paige
    Marie Paige says:

This is so true because when you have multiple sclerosis people just think they know exactly what you’re going through the best thing to do for a person is to pray for them..

19. Jacque Apodaca Mateo
    Jacque Apodaca Mateo says:

Yep I have all but 2 of these ….fighting everyday now with a cast on my leg! Just when I thought it can’t get any harder! I’ve got this & gonna keep fighting!! Lucinda Ang Linda Tina Thomas Jose Thanks for reminding me I’ve got lots to fight for!!

20. Dorothy Vowles
    Dorothy Vowles says:

Judy would phone from the ditch near her house. She would fall. She would need me to pick her up because she couldn’t go any further.had a great humor about her bouts of ms I us to get after her for not phoning before she fell..but like she said if i don’t use it I’ll lose it ..lukly we live in a rural area and not alot would have seen her.

• Marlene Adams
      Marlene Adams says:

Holy I’m just as stubborn! Lol. I refuse to not do work outside in the yard or physical labour stuff because I CAN. And I agree..if I don’t use it I’ll loose it :). Certainly not looking forward to increased mobility issues but hell..it is what it is.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »